This is what "unprepared" feels like?

 

Quandary Peak, Colorado


That looks doable, right?

....

Right?

Oi. 

That is Quandary Peak, one of the most accessible "14ers" out there (that is, a 14,000+ elevation summit). Otherwise known as "the place I hope to be on Saturday." It's a class 1 hike, so for most purposes, not technical at all, it's a straight hike (i.e., no ropes, no rappelling, probably not even any bouldering or scrambling). That said, it's a vertical hike. Obviously. Notice the delightful lack of switchbacks up there. 6.3 mile out-and-back hike. 3,333ft elevation. So that's, what, 500ft per mile. That's really not too bad. 

Right?

I'm sure it's fine.

I'm completely calm.

How do you even assess if you're ready for a mountain climb? I suppose you assess it by climbing a mountain.

Preparation

Me and my main hiking companions. Bree--immediately behind me--hits the backpacking trails with me. Lucy--far right--is my mountaineering partner.

Lucy and I are committed to doing our first 14er together. We did get to 13,8k while skiing in Breckenridge last year, but it wasn't quite 14, and well, we got up there on a ski lift, which just doesn't count towards bagging a summit. We have not historically had issues with altitude, but we are definitely going to be pushing our luck this time, as we will only be in Colorado Springs for about 36 hours before we go up to 10k to start the hike. So maybe send us some well-wishes? 

I've been preparing for this for awhile, as I have not historically been someone you would describe as athletic, coordinated, sporty, or having any business whatsoever on a mountain. 
  • I hired a coach who has a clue about hiking/backpacking. I wanted someone who understands what the physical demands of backpacking are and how to prep for them. I found a great trainer who does backpacking himself, so I feel confident in his programming. 
  • Weightlifting: I'm following my trainers program which focuses on the three Big Lifts (squats, deadlifts, and bench) plus accessories. Weightlifting focus on leg (quad, glute) and shoulder building, and core. But more than anything else, focusing on endurance. Multiple sets of heavy lifts, for a lot of reps (8-12). Having a high one rep max won't really be that helpful once you hit mile 5 and your muscles are like "we never have to do this more than once!!" My program is aimed to encourage muscle strength and endurance increases.
  • Hiking practice: at least 2x/week, I'm either out on a trail or on a treadmill, with a full pack. I try to pick trails with a lot of elevation change, although those are pretty hard to come by around here (sorry mountainbikers, I'm all up in your trails). On the treadmill I use max elevation, which is a 15% grade. 
  • Tennis: okay, this isn't directly related to preparing for summiting a 14er. But it is fun, and you'll never convince me it doesn't help with endurance.
If I'm being honest, most of this isn't specifically aimed at summiting a 14er. It's aimed at backpacking in general. But hey, if I can catch some 14ers, who am I to complain?

Packing list

Dakine pack--this is actually Lucy's alpine ski pack, but we're repurposing it here because it rides very flat and has good hip/shoulder support

Stuff
Water: 2L/person smart water bottles
Water purification kit--pretty sure there's no water on this trail, but I'm trying to make it default to have this on me for any hike
First aid kit--probably add the emergency splint to this one
pee & poop kit--hmmm, does this hike require wag bags?
Microspikes
Trekking poles
Zoleo
Fire kit--don't overthink this, it's just a firestarter and lighter
Sign for summit
X-mid tent in case we need storm shelter

Clothes for hike
Zip off Decathlon pants
32 Degree Sun shirt
Hiking underwear
Two pair hiking socks
Sports bras 
Sun hat
Fleece
Frog togs
Umbrella

Food:
Peanut butter packs
Electrolytes
Lunch--probably buy something at a store the day before

What am I missing?


Comments

Popular Posts